Visited on 18th September 2015
Derby Museum and Art Gallery was established in 1879, along with Derby Central Library, in a new building designed by Richard Knill Freeman.
The collection includes a gallery displaying many paintings by Joseph Wright of Derby; there is also a large display of Royal Crown Derby and other porcelain from Derby and the surrounding area.
Further displays include archaeology including a mummy room, natural history, geology and military collections. The Art Gallery was opened in 1882
Address: The Strand, Derby. DE1 1BS
Opening Hours: Mondays: Closed
Tuesday – Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Sunday 12:00 – 4:00 pm
Telephone: 01332 641901
The Egyptian Room
In Derby Museum and Art Gallery there is a small collection of ancient Egyptian artefacts.
There are no records to explain where the mummies came from but it has been suggested that they may have come from the local collector Francis Sacheverel Darwin
The larger mummy is called “Pypy-Iw” and has been dated to c.650 BC mainly based on the style of the coffin which resembled those of the Theban “Priests of Montu”.
The name can be seen on the coffin but looks to me to be in a different hieroglyphic hand to the rest of the inscriptions; maybe this is a reassigned coffin or one that was produced in volume and then personalised at death.
The smaller mummy has the remains of a gold gilt mask and is dated around the 3rd century BC (Ptolemaic period).
The other mummy and wooden coffin is shown with a false beard and red face, depicting the mummy was that of a man. The False beard was usually only used by kings in real life. The coffin has the Goddess Nut opening her wings which was meant to symbolise the protection of the deceased.
There is a collection of about eight large shabti figures, several smaller shabtis and amulets, a couple of bead necklaces, a winged scarab, a bronze figure of Osiris, a fragment of stone relief, and a mummified cat.